ECONOMIC INFORMATION IN CLINICAL PRACTICE GUIDELINES (WP1)
M.D., docent, editor-in-chief, Duodecim
M.D., managing editor, Duodecim
Lic. Med., Current Care Guidelines -editor (health economics), Duodecim
Head of Assesment, Fimea
Secretary General, Council for Choices in Health Care, The Ministry of Social Affairs and Health
We support and study the use of economic information in treatment decisions. Our aim is to promote cost-effective care and shared decision-making.
What we do
1. We collaborate with clinical practice guideline panels in order to integrate economic information into Current Care Guidelines and to develop ways of presenting economic information, i.e. cost information and the results of economic evaluation studies.
2. We develop tools for work communities in health care organizations in order to support shared decision-making in care and the implementation of clinical practice guidelines.
3. We study the possibility to calculate a threshold value in Finland in order to help choose cost-effective treatments.
4. We evaluate the impact of integrating economic information in clinical practice guidelines on a) the development of clinical practice guidelines, b) decision-making practices in work communities, c) treatment mix, costs of care and ultimately, the health of patients and population.
5. We develop existing theories on decision-making in health care organizations and in professional-patient relationships in collaboration with social psychologists.